We are a 150-year-old downtown congregation that worships the Lord and serves the community around us. Our ways of worship are rooted in tradition, but less formal than what you find at some churches.
We are historically African-American, but we welcome all who wish to grow in faith with us.
Wesley United Methodist Church was founded in 1869 as the Columbia Mission. Originally located on Main Street, and for a short time on the corner of Gervais and Sumter, Wesley moved to its present location and erected the current place of worship in 1910.
The first African-American Methodist church in Columbia, Wesley has a long and esteemed history in the South Carolina conference. Wesley has always been a mission-oriented church. Members of Wesley helped to establish Frances Burns and Bluff Road United Methodist Churches.
We are a unique church and fellowship integrating a traditionally and historically strong United Methodist Church with ministries of racial, social, and community reconciliation. We believe that God has called us for a particular purpose: To live, serve, worship, and witness as a new type of church, a new kind of people brought together by the transforming power of the Holy Spirit — transcending race, class, denomination, personal experience, and gender.
Our desire is to serve God, and to be faithful disciples of Jesus Christ.
To make and nurture disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
A world that knows and lives the love and hope of Jesus Christ.
Core Values and Competencies:
- Wesley UMC is a multi-generational and inclusive congregation, welcoming people of all ages, races, genders, socio-economic, educational and other backgrounds as children of God.
- We provide a nurturing environment were lives are transformed and prepared for service as the hands and feet of Jesus Christ in the world.
- Over the 150 years since our founding, we have been adept at adapting to meet the ever-changing needs of the communities we serve, yet have always remained true to the never-changing Word of Jesus Christ.
- Our ministries are both local and worldwide, as part of the connectional United Methodist Church denomination.
- We are striving for excellence in all we do, as we believe there is no greater cause for our highest standard than the service we render to Jesus Christ. The framework we use to accomplish our mission is to reach, connect, form and send.